Sunday, March 18, 2007

The NAB Cup Final

Carlton made the final of the NAB Cup and last night we went to The Telstra Dome and watched them slaughter* The Brisbane Lions. It was my first Australian Rules game and my first Carlton game. It was so exciting. I screamed and shouted and cheered and clapped like a loon. I bought a Carlton scarf (this is like entering into a contract - once you buy a scarf there is no changing your mind about what team to support). I fell in love with Brendan Fevola. I sang the two lines from the club song that I know ("we are the navy blues, we are the old dark navy blues"). I asked stupid questions like "why has that player only got one glove?". I opened my bag of lollies a tad too forcefully and they all exploded into the air and everyone was very nice about picking them up and giving them back to me.

I took crappy photos:



That's "Fev" if you couldn't already tell.


I don't think it was a great game, but being there gave me a better understanding of this crazy-ass sport which only Australians play. It's too difficult to get an idea of the size of the field and how hard the players work when watching a game on TV at home.


It was a fun evening.




CARN THE BLUES!








*the biased perception of a true footy fan.

No comments: