Saturday, May 12, 2007

Collingwood v Carlton

I was very excited about seeing us play our rivals at the MCG (though it does appear that nearly every team is a 'rival') especially as we were going to the game with an actual Collingwood supporter. The dirty pie! Jay had taught Big Red how to kick a footy when he first moved to Melbourne as a teenager and they were at high school together. He was wearing an original Collingwood vest from the 1980s, and I don't think he was actually expecting me to be at the game, which highlights Big Red's exceptional social skills. It was all cool, though, once we had a few beers lined up.

Which brings me to my first problem: drinking beer AND watching the footy.

I have yet to master this skill, which most men pride themselves on, or at least take for granted. Every time I cheered, I spilt my beer. My mother would have been horrified as she views beer spillage as a crime. Other times, I tried to precariously wedge my beer between my knees so I could at least clap, which resulted in beer all over my legs and bag. One beer I placed by feet and then promptly kicked over. By this time I had definitely drunk too much beer.

The second problem was that our seats were behind the goal and I couldn't always see what was going, and I definitely couldn't see what was going on when all the players started fighting. The guy sitting next to me ( "Hi! Who are you barracking for?" "Carlton" "Cool!") nudged my arm and told me Fevola needed stitches. Carlton were leading by half time, but the game was close. A much better Collingwood team emerged after the break, and with Carlton looking tired, were soon leading.


The atmosphere was amazing as the Collingwood supporters cheered their team to victory.


Devastating.

No comments: